University of Victoria
English As A Second Language
The English Language Centre has offered intensive English programs at UVic since 1970, and is now one of the largest on-campus English schools in Canada. Each year we welcome students from more than 30 countries to programs from one to three months in length. Many students study English with us for much longer, depending on their needs and goals.
As experts in the field of English language training, we are focused on student success and student support. When you register for an ELC program, you can be confident that we have every detail of your program covered: classes, activities, accommodation and meals. Our classes will build your English skills and our activities will help you feel at home in a new city and culture.
Committed to Diversity
At the UVic English Language Centre, we support cultural diversity, intercultural communication, and cultural understanding in all aspects of our programs. We work to promote harmony in our student community, and while attending our programs, participants are expected to respect beliefs that may differ from their own. During classes and activities, we encourage students to work together to see beyond differences and find common ground to learn and explore together.
“Culture Night” and “International Conversation Clubs” hosted during ELC programs are popular examples of ELC activities which actively encourage students to share the unique culture of their country, region, religion, or linguistic group, in a safe, respectful environment. Through such activities we aspire to create an intercultural community that promotes understanding between diverse cultures and friendship between all people.
For more information, please visit:
ELC Quick Facts
- A leader in international education: Teaching English at UVic for 50 years!
- TESOL-trained instructors with international teaching experience
- Welcomes 2,500 students from +35 countries each year
- Offers Pathways to University of Victoria degree programs
- In-house Homestay staff and Activity coordinators
- Academic mentoring for students in all programs
- Over 100 university partnerships in 10 countries
- Central location on UVic’s beautiful campus
- Monthly program start dates
- 24/7 student support